- This event has passed.
Sustainability Matters Fall Plant and Produce Swap
September 7, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Fall is the best time to divide perennials and plant trees. Bring your extra plants, seeds and garden produce to share and swap with others. There’ll be plenty of native plants, trees, perennials, and houseplants. Lots of veggies too, so if you’ve got too much squash, now’s your chance to go home with someone else’s heirloom tomatoes!
Take along the whole family and join Sustainability Matters for fun activities:
– Pickle Potluck: bring homemade pickled, fermented or canned veggies and fruit…and recipes!
– Kissable llamas from Posey Thisisit Llama Farm
– Free expert Garden Tool Sharpening (one tool per household)
– Live Music from Sustainability Matters’ band, the Plant-Based Jam
– What’s Wrong with my Tree? (tree problems solved by Virginia Department of Forestry)
– Free Chips from Route 11 Potato Chips
– Raffles & Giveaways
Free to all; donations to support Sustainability Matters encouraged.
HOW THE SWAP WORKS: as you come in, your plants, produce, etc. will be sorted by our volunteers. You’re welcome to take home an equivalent value to what you brought. If you’d like to take more than you brought, you may donate the difference.
WHAT TO BRING:
– Plants & Seeds: perennials, trees, houseplants, and cuttings. Please label clearly, and divide seeds into smaller packets if appropriate. No invasive plants!
– Garden produce: vegetables, fruits, and even cut flowers
– Garden books, pots, hand tools or other supplies
Use your creativity for plant containers and labels: we encourage everyone to repurpose items like plastic cups and utensils, popsicle sticks, and so on!
– Pickled, preserved or fermented fruits or veggies (no meat) for the Pickle Potluck, plus a printed copy of your recipe (so those who love your pickles can take a picture and DIY at home!)
– a Garden Tool to be sharpened (one per household)
– Photos or bagged samples of trees you’d like identified or tree problems you need professional advice on
– Cash to buy sustainably-sourced SM tees and totes, enter the raffle, or donate to support our programming
– Used disposable razors for recycling (SM is a host for Terracycle’s program to recycle these usually non-recyclable items, and our recycle box will be at the swap)
– a sense of fun!!